Thursday, August 8, 2019

RHEL7.7 dracut Failed to install module libnvdimmvmxnet3

I just upgraded one of my systems from RHEL 7.6 to 7.7. During the update, I got the following error:
dracut[43998]: Failed to install module libnvdimmvmxnet3
The fix is this: in /etc/dracut.conf.d/*.conf -- in my case, both nvdimm-security.conf and vmware-tools.conf, edit the "add_drivers" line to add a leading and trailing space. e.g. in nvdimm-security.conf, change:
add_drivers+="libnvdimm"
to
add_drivers+=" libnvdimm "
and in vmware-tools.conf, change:
add_drivers+="vmxnet3 vmw_pvscsi"
to
add_drivers+=" vmxnet3 vmw_pvscsi "
Then, run "dracut --force" to rebuild your initramfs. You should no longer get the "Failed to install module libnvdimmvmxnet3" error. The reason for the problem is that dracut is concatenating all the "add_drivers" strings together, without any processing. See the dracut.conf man page for the warning that was apparently ignored by the open-vm-tools folks: "Space-separated lists have to have a leading and trailing space"

18 comments:

  1. Thank you, this cleared the error for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks from me too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another set of thanks from me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely awesome guidance ... my VM refused to suspend and but I saw an error in /var/log/messages about missing adapter but could not figure out what has gone wrong. Update kernel and got this error about dracut .. now this has fixed both issues !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for documenting this 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did the job. Thank you for the clear guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow thanx, fixed my problem also but in the form of "Failed to install module hpvsalibnvdimm"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Thank you for the examples and clear explanation!

    ReplyDelete